Friday, October 14, 2011

INSPIRED BY: Mary Ellen Mark


Why do I love Mary Ellen Mark? Because Mary Ellen Mark taught me that photography could be art.

I was a junior in high school with no art classes on my transcript when I joined the photo club and some fellow yearbook members on a trip to Ball State University to hear Mark lecture.
Honestly, I don't remember much of what she said. I remember she said that everyone has a story and that some people's are just harder to find.
Mostly, I just remember thinking, "I can't believe you can do something like this with a camera."
Sure. I had seen photos taken by professionals before. Senior portraits. Some Ansel Adams. Stuff in newspapers.
But I had never seen photographs like this. Photographs that were as eloquent as my favorite novels. Photographs that were more honest than my best friends. Photographs that were as well-done as famous paintings and sculptures.
Photographs that were art.

No comments:

Post a Comment